Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Very Busy Month

Let me start by telling you that all is well at The House in Mexico.  One young boy has outgrown us, a gal is home with mom who no longer has a job, and yet another has decided she didn't want to follow the rules at the house.  BUT, there are new children arriving each week and soon others will be returning after a summer with parents who market to tourists on the coast.  It is a hectic time of year for all of us.

Mike and I have been trying to figure out what we need to do and when we need to do it and how... I'm learning to budget and shop for breakfast and lunch for 15 - 20 children, 6 days a week.  Paying the rent for two months was the easy part thanks to the generosity of Canadian and Minnesota friends.  Delia and I talk about needs for the house very frequently and I find myself reading ads very carefully.  (We have a granddaughter who is an expert at couponing and I wish I had taken a lesson or two.)  Right now I spend way too much time in grocery stores!!!

Enough about us.  Let's talk about the important people - THE KIDS!  And, of course, my favorite way to talk is with pictures. 

Our first day at The House was the day after my birthday - a Saturday.  Little did I know that Delia was expecting me the day before and had planned a surprise party. 



It was the best birthday party I have ever had - Thanks to Delia and the children.







 The traditional piñata was fun to hit


but it was way more fun to help the younger ones.


And see how the children had matured over the summer. 


It was all just plain fun!




 

If you have never had a Tres Leche Cake (Three Milk Cake), I suggest you come to Mexico and sample one.  They are so moist and sooooo good!


When we left the house that first day, the car temp was in the 120's....

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you.  This crazy group of camera shy friends in Minnesota,


some of whom think they are the "say no, see no, hear no " evil monkeys,


packed our pickup with all kinds of wonderful legos, and big toys and little toys and clothes and tap dancing shoes and durable almost-new shoes, and bikes and and and.  Thanks Monkeys!


 
 Back to the kids.  These rubber mats have to be one of the best investments ever made - they still are played with and they still hold together after nearly two years.


Young ones are inquisitive - they remember us a little...


 



A new girl enjoys the large selection of toys.

 

"I remember you"



Every day, there is an activity after lunch, sometimes its books.  Even if many of them are in English, they still enjoy the pictures and make up stories to go along.  And yes, it makes some tired.








With Halloween approaching, I had to do an art project with the kids. 


Sometimes, just sitting back and watching others is a real joy for all of us.


Posing for the camera is always good too.



Mike is a favorite playmate!


Adilene is the new assistant at the house and she is just a big kid sometimes.


Delia is very good with giving directions, and redirection, when necessary.


Yesterday was a day for glamour shots - yes, the kids had my camera again.  Little one isn't too sure about this one.

 

No comments on the next two.



Love and hugs; we get our quota and then some!





Adie is a talented artist and very good with hair.


I had just finished my "hand on the hip lecture" telling this sweetie that she was going to school tomorrow because it was necessary.  She imitates pretty well.



Didn't see this one... maybe it was behind my back... or she is practicing for Halloween.






I love this picture.


One of the many stores I was in this week had cakes for only $2.99 so I couldn't resist.



One of the kids took this picture.  Marylou was and Papa Jack is an important person in the lives of many children.  We found out this week that Jack will be coming down around Christmas - the kids are elated!  Adults feel pretty much the same way.


Remnants of the cake...






I love that the older ones are always willing to help with clean up. 


Growing so quickly.


Delia can be gone for 10 minutes and they run to hug her when she returns; that tells you something.


I just had to caption some of these . 


"Honey, you can't take the wheels shopping every day. Don't you understand that."

"Help!"

"So, I don't understand what the problem is, it was working fine a few minutes ago."


"All I wanna do is get to the dance recital on time."


"I need a bigger set of wheels."


"Don't you ever think to put gas in it."


"It wasn't much of an accident, we'll be able to fix it for a couple hundred."


"Maybe I'll go to school tomorrow just in case they are teaching how to play music."


"We ARE smiling!"


Thanks again, Doug, for the boards and bean bags.  Children of all ages love it!



And finally, they get the keyboard. 

 
When we left the house, we went over to where the older girls live.  This "pond" is on the side of the house.
 


Since it was a 90 degree day, they enjoyed the water along with Clara, a friend of theirs from Yuma.



Maria lives close and stopped over for a minute.  She has the most beautiful face and almost always closes her eyes when I go to photograph her.  A strong believer in prayer, she frequently tells me that something we do or bring to her is an answer to a prayer. 



So, it has been a VERY BUSY MONTH.  Now the weather is cooling off; only in the mid eighties today.  I actually wore jeans on my trip to the grocery store. 

As I think about all that has happened and all that is to come, it is easy to get over-whelmed until I remember that God is in charge and we are only his servants.  Then I relax and I think how very lucky I am to be here doing his will.  Please continue to keep all the children, Delia, Adilene, our older friends in Mexico, and Mike and I in your prayers.  Thank You to all of you who have helped with monetary or other donations.  May God Bless You For Your Generosity.

 
Remember to Listen When God Whispers
and Respond When He Nudges.

No comments:

Post a Comment